Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I Have Lived in America for 14 Years, But I Felt Like a Total Tourist...

Since my mom had an AIDS conference in Boston to attend, my brother Jason, my dad and I got to spend a week as tourists! Being back in America for the first time in six months was a shock...

 Boston felt like a deep freezer after coming from Africa. It was below freezing every day of our visit, which is just a tiny bit colder than the ninety degrees weather I've grown used to. We actually ended up getting flurries on the last day.

Despite the cold weather, my dad, brother and I spent most days walking around looking at the city. You have no idea how mind blowing it is to see skyscrapers and fancy buildings after being surrounded with one room huts built from scrap metal & car pieces. We also checked out the historical sights as well, and had lovely conversation about Africa with the active duty Navy personnel aboard the U.S.S. Constitution.

The speed at which everything happens in the American lifestyle was blindingly fast after living in Namibia. I mean, the chefs must marinate their ingredients in some sort of Speedy Gonzales steroid cooking juice, because that food just appears on the table like magic! Not to mention the metro made transportation waaaay too easy compared to what I'm used to: 'what do you mean I don't have to walk several kilometers if I want to reach the next town?' Despite the bedazzlement, Jason enjoyed a Subway sandwich and we all had fun getting treated terribly on purpose at Dick's Last Resort!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment